Become a Member
Being a good library trustee is demanding. The issues you deal with reflect today's complex world. The New Jersey Library Trustee Association can help you make informed decisions about complex library issues. As a library trustee you are probably dealing with, or will soon have to meet, these challenges.
- You know that today's library offers more than books. With the advent of DVDs, iPods, Internet, and other computer services, appropriate library policies are critical for all these new informational services. What is a policy? What is a procedure? How do I write an effective policy?
- Trustees must hire and evaluate the library director. What do I put in the advertisement and where do I place the ad? What questions should I, and may I, ask of the candidate? How do I evaluate the library director?
- Trustees should know about their community and residents' needs. By doing so, trustees can wisely allocate resources to insure the best possible library services. How do I administer a community survey and use the findings to develop a library mission statement, goals and objectives? How do I develop and present a budget to meet our community goals? How do I make my building accessible to my patrons?
The New Jersey Library Trustee Association can help you meet these challenges by:
- Advocating for the betterment of all libraries and providing free advocacy training on demand;
- Voicing your library concerns to state and local legislators;
- Strengthening and educating members through educational seminars;
- Keeping you abreast of library and trustee happenings through newsletters (three times a year), a monthly listserv and a website;
- Supporting the Trustee Institute through planning and financing.
Join NJLTA and add another voice for the advocacy of libraries in New Jersey. Ask your library director or provide us with your name, address, telephone number, e-mail addres and library affiliation with a check for $20.00 (annual dues) payable to New Jersey Library Trustee Association mail to:
New Jersey Library Trustee Association, P.O. Box 1505, Trenton, NJ 08607